Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Help me with these horns

Hey

I am tuning my horn system and need advices.

I currently have a TAD 1603 loaded into a 170LT/35Hz bass reflex, a 300Hz JMLC-Iwata horn with a TAD 4001 and a 1kHz JMLC horn with TAD 2001; xover is 600ohm 24dB/oct at 600Hz and 8/16ohm 6dB/oct at 2.4kHz (at drivers binding posts); system is biamped. I switch back and forth between 2 ways (bass bin + big horn only) and 3 ways and I cannot mature any definitive decision.

Measurements are attached, physical time alignment is now optimized for the best measured and listening result (well, I hope): drivers are 30cm approx behind the woofer, I used to have them perfectly aligned to woofer but it seems to sound better this way and step response is more compact too.

When I am playing it 2 ways it seems to be more snappy and with more focus but voices sound sometime a bit gigantic and megaphonic (specifically male voices in certain songs). 3 ways sounds milder and voices are just superb but somehow the system is a bit blurry. These are very subtle and minor nuances to be listened for with care and attention. All in all this set up is really enjoyable and much better than many speakers I listened to.

Any comment on the bandwidth and step response and suggestions and guidance? I am prepared to get rid of 2001's and add a super tweeter at 8-10kHz but somehow I feel that would not improve the situation. Would a different mids horn (tractrix or JMLC) change things? I'd like to retain the brisk and detailed timbre of 2 ways but maintain the nuances of 3 ways.

thanks everybody
gianluca

measurements at 3.5mt from speakers

Edits: 03/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Help me with these horns - gluca 15:51:43 03/12/14 (42)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.