Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: ? 3D printers or CNC Horns

I looked seriously into it and it is not the technology we need for horns.

How they work is with a plastic tubing that the printing head melts and places a little drop into position, 3d of course. For the head to melt the tubing it has to be very small in diameter, and this also helps in having a better resolution. So what you can do is have a thin plastic shell of any size or shape you want. Yes I found big enough printers for a 120 hz horn, but it will be able to make a thin shell and it will take the machine a week to do it! Of course this will cost more than an Ongaku amp, and you will need two of them!

The texture is not that good either, so you will probably also need to finish them afetrwards.

If you want to go smaller you can make a crappy thin plastic horn, but there are already a lot of those in the market for a few bucks.

What we need for a horn is a solid thick material to make the walls of. It can be solid plastic, Teflon, MDF, wood, concrete? any dead sounding material.
If you make them out of Ceramic or metal you would actually be building a bell!

To 3D print a thick material would be so costly it is not an option.

Imho this technology doesnt really help that much right now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.