Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 30 dB peaks

30db is fairly rare but it does occur apparently. But, today I would say 20db of headroom above the average level is a good target if you want to reproduce the dynamics on many recordings. Plus, there's also the issue of the speakers themselves; most won't reproduce these levels even if you do zap them with 1000 watts.

Today, I listen to 2A3 amps on 110-112db efficient horns. This gives me about 26 db of headroom at fairly modest (not headbanger) listening levels (probably 87db average at the seat). This is just about enough IMO. The real magic with low power SETs is to use them in multi-amp setups as compression driver amps. Once you hear this, you realize how much they are struggling even on "high efficiency" speakers in the 95db range.

For a typical 98db-ish 15" cone/horn combo with a speaker crossover, I would look into push-pull tube designs if you want real dynamics. PP just makes sense when you want power over 10W or so from DHTs or similarly refined tube amps. The output transformers can be designed for much higher power and also good bandwidth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 30 dB peaks - nl 08:31:09 03/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.