Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Lowther Speakers

My system uses the DX65 drivers in Lowther Alerion cabinets built by the late Terry Cain: http://dagogo.com/lowther-america-alerion-floorstanding-speaker

Source is digital CD / lossless format with Wavelength Brick DAC and Kurashima 45 Set Amplifier. My home is a small apartment with wood floors and 10 feet ceiling.

IMO this set up is as good as any for the many for smaller format jazz, chamber music and voice with piano. For instance at medium volume listening to Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard the piano, drums, and critically Scott LaFaro's bass come through clean with excellent definition among the three instruments.

The system is very good, but certainly not optimal for large format symphony, full opera and even, say, Duke Ellington's big band recordings. I've heard some of these recordings over classic horn loaded systems and agree with other posters that this is as good as it gets if you have the space.

While living in the city means giving up space, it does mean I have easy access to wonderful live symphony orchestra and opera performances.

If your listening space is small as mine is, I imagine Lowther-America would provide you or your cabinet builder with Alerion plans.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lowther Speakers - matthewJ2 05:46:59 03/07/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.