Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: 30 dB peaks

Reading the literature, there is a general consensus that the traditional number is 14dB.

Definitions are important though. In this case, it means that during the course of a cut, the maximum reading on a VU meter (i.e. during the loudest parts) is 14dB below the peak instantaneous. VU is a short-term average with a "rise time" of 300mS. This came from the days of tape, where the tape would saturate at 14dB above zero VU, and zero VU is defined for a particular tape. Recording engineers would try to never let the level get above zero VU on the meter. If the cut has quiet passages, they might be well below zero VU.

Songs intended for the radio are often very compressed, with peak to average levels less than 3dB. This allows them to be much louder, and as talk radio has shown, the loudest voice always wins. :^)

Movies, if you follow the standards, have typically a 20dB range, allowing an extra 6dB for car crashes to be louder than the music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 30 dB peaks - Paul Joppa 20:32:28 03/06/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.