Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec Model 19 cabinet stuffing

I'm not the expert on speakers that many here are but I actually own a pair of 19s (and 604-8g's). If you bought them because you like the sound or always wanted 19s then why not try to make the stuffing similar to original model 19s? 1" fibreglas with a black scrim cloth over the insulation on the port side and the inner back wall to hide the yellow or orange glass. I've tried felt, lambs wool and pillow stuffing and went back to something close to the original because of how it sounds.
Also, don't screw with the xovers. Do the ground mod and replace the caps because the originals are usually out of spec but once again, I've tried many of the so called magic bullet xovers and while at first they OK they didn't stay in mine for long.
As for sealing the cabinet, the top part is held on with 2 or 4 screws that are easily accessible from the horn opening when you remove the 811. You may find that there is a considerable gap between the top, bottom and middle joining sections due to age and being bounced around for 30+ years. You may want to do something about that.

Edits: 08/01/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.