In Reply to: RE: New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed posted by djk on July 16, 2012 at 18:08:59:
Sorry for the slow response, somehow I missed your post. We just got in from a nice run in the mountains.
The amps are Quicksilver Horns. I have found that maybe they work better with these speakers using KT88 and the 4ohm tap, but I just tried this configuration. The QS Mid Mono work very well with these speakers and most speakers.
I am a dealer. I get the Faital from Faital (Jeff Ostler). I do not sell much gear so do not get the wrong idea. I have a very modest income. I have a part time programming day job.
Glad the box is tuned correctly. I do expect more low bass from these speakers. I made them close to the size of the woofer , so that the sides really hold the woofers. I have not put a single brace in the box, yet. I do not hear any cabinet resonance.
The 140 are 8ohm.
I went for the 140 because Bob Crites likes them and the graph appears flatter than the 144. And more extended. I was looking at using a xover point around 500hz like Bob uses on the Cornscala D. The idea is that the lower xover reduces the problem with time alignment. Jeff talked me out of the 500hz and into going up a bit to 900Hz or so.
I need to do some more reading so that I can understand the Q=2 high pass filter and the 6th order vented design. You had suggested a different xover for the 1k to 3k range for the 140/142. Any hints?
Thank you for your time. These are fun projects. Wish work and trying to sell gear left more bandwidth for the PROJECTS.
Don WalkerThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed - Know Won 19:14:23 07/15/12 (10)
- 2.5-way - djk 03:02:58 07/21/12 (1)
- Push Pull - Know Won 13:43:22 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed - djk 22:41:48 07/15/12 (5)
- RE: New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed - Know Won 16:08:58 07/16/12 (4)
- RE: New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed - firstname.lastname@example.org 21:28:18 07/15/12 (1)
- RE: New DIY speakers - comments and advice needed - Know Won 15:49:08 07/16/12 (0)
- 500hz moved to 900hz - Know Won 21:31:45 07/17/12 (0)