Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

no but..............

I played with it for a while.

Using a 10 band eq on a stock driver, I had a squeek of boost at 8khz and a little at 16khz. I also had cotton batten between whizzer and cone down by the voice coil.

I trimmed maybe 1/8 off the whizzer (a little) and I needed a bit more boost at 8khz and more at 16khz, but the honkyness improved a little also. It was better overall.

I then cut off all the whizzer, and the honky ness was gone !!!! But I couldn't eq in the high end. 8khz and 16khz sliders made no difference in the high end.

If I measured it after cutting the whizzer off, I'm sure that I'd have seen more of a climb from 1khz to 5khz then it roll off very steeply past that. Whizzers usually put out the really high stuff (like 5khz plus) and they also act out of phase for an octave, maybe 2 under it. By acting out of phase, it lowers the freq response of the driver there compared to the same driver without a whizzer.

This guy cut the whizzer off his coral flat 8 and made measurements. Removing his whizzer also narrowed his dispersion from 2khz to 4khz also.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/185012-whizzer-intelligibility.html

Interesting read.

Norman

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • no but.............. - Norman Bates 04:40:47 07/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.