Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

You are not building a MLTL

""With a large volume (10 ft3) cabinet a bottom-floor port is very wasteful of potential cabinet volume."

Please explain what you mean?"

Hi gortnipper,

Several papers discuss how a cabinet with a bottom floor port must be raised 1x to 2x the diameter of the port for correct port bass wave summation into the room. So, bottom floor firing deep bass ports require cabinets with long legs. This height could be used for adding volume to the enclosure in order to optimize T/S requirements, or to select a cabinet width with superior edge diffraction or superior baffle step frequency, while maintaining a ~39" tweeter height. Antique furniture vs. sculptured modern furniture.

You are not building a MLTL for your GPA 604, so many of the equations which determine speaker height do not apply to your cabinet. It is often difficult in large volume Altec 604 MLTL cabinets to keep the tweeter height ~39" if a bottom-floor port is used because of the 4" - 8" leg height requirements.

A bottom front panel port offers larger cabinet volume with fewer compromises on tweeter height complications with a coaxial 604, and fewer cabinet complications for baffle-step or volume-wasting large edge roundover for diffraction reduction.

I know that a bottom-floor port can provide superior sound compared to a lower front panel port, but a bottom-floor port consumes potential cabinet volume that could be better used in a 10ft3 deep bass coaxial GPA 604 MLTL. Again, you are not building an MLTL, but others might select this option.

The GPA 604 deserves a freeware in-room MLTL and in-corner design.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.