Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: MLTL is usually superior to generic BR

"With a large volume (10 ft3) cabinet a bottom-floor port is very wasteful of potential cabinet volume."

Please explain what you mean?

"A large diameter lower front panel MLTL port is often a better alternative in terms of size and critical tweeter height requirements (~39")."

Yeah, I have also read that this should work well. In my cabs, the drivers are exactly ear height.

But, here is a quote from GM, in a previous post that I was tying to recall:

"In a tower (aka MLTL) speaker, the location of the driver relative to the top (closed end) of the cab affects its 1/4 WL loading, i.e. the closer to the top the driver is, the greater the pipe loading, so if the driver is at the top and vent at the bottom, then max loading on the vent is a function of the distance between the two. This also means that the most stuffing is required to damp the unwanted pipe harmonics. Since I prefer acoustic solutions to acoustic problems, I position the driver down the pipe somewhat to minimize stuffing density (increasing overall pipe length to get the HF up to ~seated ear height) while others prefer to position it at the top and adjust vent height, though this way creates secondary reflections that reduces pipe loading and may require even more stuffing density than if near/at the bottom and a longer vent for a given tuning, basically defeating the main purpose of using a MLTL if the vent is placed near the driver as Altec did.

This layout can be used to provide a bit of acoustic gain to offset baffle step loss though since as the vent moves closer to the driver it raises Fb, tilting up the speaker's low end response, ergo the Stonehenge V will require little/no BSC with the trade-off of potentially sounding 'boomy' if near/at a wall boundary while a MLTL will be the reverse with a rolled off bass if no BSC is used and tonally balanced without BSC if near/at a wall."

Edits: 06/27/12 06/27/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.