Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

MLTL is usually superior to generic BR

I have been surprised by the improved bass and midbass clarity from a well designed MLTL cabinet over a generic dimension bass reflex ported cabinet. A 30% larger volume TL "could" have even superior sound, but that would be BIG-BIG for the Altec 604.

With a large volume (10 ft3) cabinet a bottom-floor port is very wasteful of potential cabinet volume. A large diameter lower front panel MLTL port is often a better alternative in terms of size and critical tweeter height requirements (~39").

B&W speakers has a white paper on bottom woofer ports which describes the need to use very large diameter radius ports on both sides, use an angled bottom board under the port to push the port air to the front-left-right, but block the rear exit. The bottom board also removes carpet effects. A few bottom port 604 BR cabinets owners use both height adjustable legs and bottom floor-boards for consistent bass and room tuning flexibility.

Most modern homes have open floor plans around the living (aks home theater). Older home floorplans had more favorable corner speaker placement.

The GPA 604 deserves freeware MLTL in-room and corner placement designs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.