Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Anyone have good luck making Khorns into 2 way?

This is true Tom, but the co-patent holder of the Jubilee, Roy Delgado, told me a Khorn will EQ UP just fine to 500 Hz. with a modern digital Xover. This is also how he has set up all the current Jubilee owners with 2-Way, except the Jube has a different EQ than the Khorn, but both bass horn can be made to work with a big CD horn on top, no problem.

In fact, I think the best thing to happen to ALL horns, which are seldom flat, is Active EQ with Linkwitz-Riley slopes.

In fact, a Behringer 2496 and a couple of small watt amplifiers is way better AND cheaper than trying to do it with $2,000 worth of passive parts and a crossover base that won't fit in the trunk of a car.

In my situation, I chose a hybrid approach and a subwoofer since I prefer zero to as few folds as possible in a bass horn. So I use a Klipschorn K-33 woofer in Peavey FH-1 bins (cheaper and better built than LaScala bass bin), PEQ it smooth from 70-300 Hz. Rather than try to EQ a Khorn on the bottom, I built a Tapped Horn with a LAB-12 driver that is 6 db down at 16 Hz.and flat to 70Hz. The top end is a K-402 with Klipsch K1133 driver fed by it's own amp, with no EQ mated to a DE-250 driver with QSC horn (look like a mini K402) both with only one capacitor in the passive Xover. Any EQ that happens to the entire system/room comes from Audyssey on my Receiver, which is the best thing since sliced bread.

I could easily make this a 2-way with a Klipsch 1132 driver or JBL 2446 or EV DH1a, or Faital Pro, or many 2" throat drivers up to the task. I would then need some PEQ at the top end instead of a tweeter, which I chose for better dispersion than what used to come out of my JBL 2360a's (Elephant Cheeks)although the dispersion of those horns was still full width at 8 Khz.....amazing

Edits: 06/27/12 06/27/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anyone have good luck making Khorns into 2 way? - claudej1@aol.com 19:16:42 06/27/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.