Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Budget speakers for SET???

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. I'm not much of a mini monitor type of guy. I usually lean towards floor standers. I mentioned buying from the local box stores because I've read that brands such as JBL, Polk, Klipsch and such can sound pretty good on a budget with 3 watts of tube power. The best sound I've obtained with my current amp is using Klipsch Cornwalls. They are huge and the bass nodes were way too much in my room. I then switched to the Quartets but I have to pull them way into the room to get a balanced sound. Bass is still too much and the horns end up sitting too close to me to do their magic.

I'm not opposed to used or vintage. I dislike speakers that do the Audiophile thing and shove the music in my face. My favorite speakers are Maggies. I'm just trying a different path here with SET and high eff speakers. My main goal is musicality with drive and impact. Make the performance believable and enjoyable.

Rick; I'm familiar with the brands you mentioned but have never heard any of those models. The single driver speakers seem to get a bad rap using such drivers as Fostex. Many complain of beaming sound. That would drive me nuts. I have seen great press about the Omegas and Tekton's. I'm looking to spend $500.00 or less. I know...but times are hard and money is tight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.