Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Budget speakers for SET???

First, I think you are limiting yourself tremendously by requiring that you purchase them at a local electronics store. The best sounding smallish speakers that I have had will never be sold at a big box electronic store.

Second, what kind of a budget are you thinking about?

Here are some thoughts based on speakers I have heard with SET amps. These are all going to be used speakers, because the new price is pretty high or they are no longer made. Also, they will all be a little light in the bass, but if you are a real bass nut, a sub woofer, such as a REL T1 can fill in wonderfully. I have one in my 12 X 10 office, but I don't use it much.

Cain & Cain Abby's - great sounding, small footprint, but tall. Their was a nearfield version with different drivers.

Coincident Triumph Signature UHS - Extreme Version - best I have heard. The older Triumph versions are also excellent but the Extreme rules.

Reference 3A mm de Capo I - read the reviews. Runner up to the Coincidents.

One of the best values around are the Omega speakers, single driver speakers in a variety of sizes.

Finally, push you budget as far as you can because this is a critical link to good sound. Also, try the "buy used, listen, sell" strategy. You get the most for your dollar. Well made speakers last a very long time and are very reliable, don't feel you need a brick box near your house to service them. Good luck.

Edits: 05/29/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.