Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Horn mouth shape ?

Conical horns are easy to build, and many DIY guys have built excellent Unity/Synergy style horns with standard hand tools.
A Synergy horn has the advantage of a single point source from a single horn using multiple drivers covering a wide range, which reduces the system size considerably while also increasing coherency, especially if one is constrained to a close listening distance.
Unlike separate horn units, which require some distance back to integrate, you can literally stick your head in a Synergy and it sounds the same as it does some distance back.

Like any horn, the tighter the dispersion, the larger it must be for a given cut off frequency. That said, by combining relatively high bass reflex porting with the Synergy horn, a relatively compact enclosure can reach low enough to just need assistance below 50-100 Hz.

This makes placement of the sub almost a non issue, as the sound will not be localized to the sub in a small room.

If I were building a horn system for domestic listening, it would be a Synergy style horn. My living room is still too small for them, but I have plans for my deck..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Horn mouth shape ? - weltersys 12:54:33 05/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.