Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

here is a jbl 2374 horn.

well, I can only tell you what I've heard. The klipsch guys are loving the wood kit, less expensive if you assemble the slices and sand.

The stuff I know. Corners are bad. Parallel walls (especially at the throat) are bad. Slots at the throat are bad. A bend would help (throat to mouth, jbl 2374), unlike a straight conical (reflection bounce mouth to throat), or a horn that breaks (like altec manta-ray). And ideally the mouth folds all the way back to the baffle (like a le'cleach or the jabo / stereo-lab horns).

These Horns I've not heard, but based on the criteria above, I'd like the gedde's oblate spheroid. I'd like the peavey quadratic horn. I'd like the jbl 2374 (but too big a horn for that compression driver's wave plane response) and the 2384 (me want). I'd like stereo-labs (but need more dispersion than the tractrix can give me when crossing at 750hz). I'd like the avante-garde (same tractrix lack of dispersion past a decade). I like the le'cleach (exponential, even less dispersion). I'd like the 18sound 1464. And better ears than mine like the jbl 2344.

But if you measured a horn, you'd see standing waves (impedence spikes) for the distance throat to mouth and also across the mouth. A rectangular or elliptical mouth would have 2 smaller mouth standing waves (to me) compared to a circular mouth.

But I am pleased as punch with my high end boosted ev hr90 with foam covering 1 of the parallel walls in the throat and foam at sides. Then again, I'm also running from 750hz to maybe 15khz (more than a decade), so I need the 90 degree horizontal dispersion that my cd-horn gives me, especially because I'm only using 1 speaker for the entire room.

Norman

Edits: 05/10/12 05/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.