Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Any DIY project that would do a (solo) piano justice...?

I proposer a sealed sub of 15-18 inches, a pair of sealed mids 10-12 inches (you could use an open baffle design here), a 1" compression driver like B&C DE250 on a conical horn/"wavguide" to about 8K, and a supertweeter like a Fostex bullet or B&C DE35 above that. You could buy all the drivers and horns for about $2000, and a little shopwork to create the cabinets and you're there.

The crossover is another problem. I would consider an active digital crossover like Apogee Ensemble. Then you need a stack of amps ... well, it is what it is. To get the dynamics and range of a piano, you need big cones and compression drivers.

If you want something cheaper, I'd consider a pair of Eminence Beta 12A on an open baffle, cheap 12" powered sub below, B&C DE250 on the 12" Parts Express waveguide, and DE35 tweeters. Basically the same setup, but you could do it for about $1200 a pair.

Edits: 05/01/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Any DIY project that would do a (solo) piano justice...? - nl 08:29:09 05/01/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.