Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Literature recommends 27 - 22Khz speakers

The standard grand piano has 88 keys which span the frequency range 27.5 Hz (A0) to 4186 Hz (C8). There are several professionally reviewed papers which have both measurement data and listening PIANO vs. SPEAKER
blind tests which show that the 4th harmonic is statistically audible, and the 5th harmonic is important to "golden ear" piano players. These technical papers suggest that an "ideal piano speaker" would be flat between 27 and 22Khz. Yep, you need big speakers. Yep, probally $1K-2K per DIY speaker. Golden ear musicians that I know talk about "uniform timbre" and mention speakers like Quad Electrostatics, so there is more to great piano music reproduction than a flat frequency response. The papers mention the importance of dynamics in terms of impulse reponse, but no data on SPL/watt.

The musician playing at the piano hears a much differnt sonic presentation than a person in the audience. Anbience. I would guess that most solo piano is close mike, and hence a narrow, controlled directivity sealed cabinet multi-cone, or cone+horn speaker would well reproduce the sonic presentation heard by the musician. I would guess that a dipole speaker would add enough room artifacts to add some concert hall ambience.

I do not believe the GPA 604 duplex can cover a 27-22Khz frequency range, but is still a very good $1K/speaker DIY option.

There is a recent thread discussing a 20Hz - 20Khz speaker that might provide some ideas. My suggestion: 18" sealed woofer, crossed 80Hz to 10" sealed midbass, crossed 1,200Hz to Beyma TPL 150H HEIL tweeter totaling ~ $2K/speaker. This provides controlled directivity gradually decreasong from 360 degree bass to 90 degrees starting at 1,200Hz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.