Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Large Cones = More Realistic Lower-Mids Tone?

Since this issue was not specifically addressed in another related thread, I thought it'd be interesting to raise it here.

The issue is; whether or not most equipment (especially speakers) are up to the task of closely replicating the typical sound of real instruments.

It could be argued that the speaker-types favored by Hi-Efficiency inmates, here, come much closer to this goal than the vast majority of the much more popular type(s). And that this is not just because of their dynamism, but also because of their more 'hefty' midrange tone (similar to that of real instruments). Both of which are features most other types of speakers lack - hence the superior realism of H-E speaker-types (especially those with the midrange tonal 'weight' afforded by the cone-surface area of large mid-woofers, in large enclosures).

Arguably the most popular speaker-type (sub-woofed small-coned mini-monitors, crossed-over below 200hz) are acknowledged to be somewhat compromised in dynamism. Could their lack of lower midrange tone/heft be, also, a factor in their lesser realism compared to speaker-systems with large mid-woofers as cited above?

I'm inclined to believe so, but I'm also very interested in what the experts here have to say on this issue.

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Large Cones = More Realistic Lower-Mids Tone? - waj4all 13:02:21 04/21/12 (20)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.