Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: I have a good question...........

Jeff,

I have not built or listened to a push pull plenum (slot) exit cabinet, but have built many plenum exit cabinets in both rectangular and "V" shapes. The plenum seems to reduce group delay slightly, giving a greater sense of impact than a front loaded bass reflex of the same net cabinet space, similar to a large horn.

The difference in sound between push pull and both cones forward is speaker dependent, a speaker with a high degree of suspension irregularity may benefit more from PP than a more linear speaker.

The Lab 12 is a very low distortion speaker to start with, at low drive levels, I could not tell the difference between PP or normal loading.

At high levels, the difference was fairly obvious, and we thought the PP sounded worse because of the obvious cooling port chuffing noise, and some odd order harmonics had increased, sounding somewhat "unmusical".

A plenum gets the speakers closer together, reducing even order harmonic distortion more than my side by side tests. A plenum would reduce the cooling port chuffing noise. Some speakers have no cooling ports, so don't have that issue when reverse mounted.

If one decides to use a plenum mount cabinet, one can try PP or normal, and decide which is more appropriate for the chosen speakers and your personal taste in distortion "flavor".

Art

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.