Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Making the move to high efficiency seems impossible...

"I think I'm missing drama, slam, dynamic agility from my current system,"

It's best to make an objective assessment of what your system isn't doing that you want it to do. The problem may not be your speakers, it may be that your amplifier isn't up to the job, or it may be that the room sound is interfering with achieving the clarity you seek, or...

You might consider getting an equalizer to tailor the sound to your liking, or maybe just turning up the midrange and treble will do the trick.

It's best to make an objective assessment of what your system isn't doing that you want it to do, before you make a significant change. (Wait, I already said that.) :)

In any case, before you go off and get directional horns or wide dispersion cones/domes, consider your room. In a fairly live and open space, horns can be excellent for you. But in a fairly dead space, you might not be so happy being relegated to a small "sweet spot". Cones and domes can sound excellent in either.

So, consider your space. Do you have a large percentage of hard surfaces, not over-cushy ("big soft") furniture, and a fairly open home? Or, do you have something more toward the opposite?

I'm a big fan of matching speakers to rooms and listening habit preferences, so these things matter to me. Personally, I don't want to have to sit in one of two chairs where the sound is "perfect". I'm more like you - I want it to sound great over a large area. Yes, there is a "sweet spot" in my house, but I can wander around and it still sounds great!

Our good buddy Duke might want to chime in here regarding the wide and even dispersion thingy, and other thoughts.

hth

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.