Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Supertweeter recommendation for open baffles....

Other than the obvious lack of performance in the upper frequency range, what do you want to accomplish? This is the main question.

If you're doing an open baffle, you're going to have "room-filling" sound with very wide dispersion at low to mid frequencies and a large amount of ambient sound, so it would make sense to compliment that with a wide dispersion tweeter, or maybe even multiple tweeters facing different directions.

While I'm a big fan of the E-V T350, I don't think it's the answer for this design, unless you plan to remain pretty much on axis and don't care what the other people at the party hear. ;)

And let's be frank: No 12" cone driver is good up to 10K for hi-fi. Too much mass. (I'd also say too directional, but you're doing an open baffle, so that might not be an issue.) It's a bit like trying to run a 1" tweeter down to 500 Hz.

So, the question is how do you envision the sound field in the room, and where do you want it to sound great? THEN you can choose your tweeters. (I'd also cross to them more around 3KHz than 10KHz. Better yet, get a midrange driver, too. And maybe a sub.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.