Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Giant Horn Speakers and Time Alignment ....

I'm not technical enough to know if mine are as mismatched as some of these or perhaps even more since my bass unit is folded.

That said, I originally attributed the unity of their sound to them being signal aligned. I was essentially bi*** slapped and told it was not primarily because of that but rather because I was listening to 2-way horns from previous 3-way horns.

I also use an active crossover with delay.

I was told to go to my active & change the delay to shove the two horns into a large disparity of misalignment. I ended up doing this.

When I went to the extremes, it was literally an echo so it was a fun experiment. That said, there was a range (and I have no recollection as to the values) where I personally could not tell much difference in the sound BUT, the important thing to me is, the coherency of them was "there" throughout most of the delay changing process. (until I got stupid with the numbers and could hear double-taps)

What that told me was in a practical sense, it's FAR more important to lose a crossover point if at all possible. In my system, adjusting for delay is more for fine tuning than a real fix for anything. (I use 2271 Us).

Personally, I tend to cringe when I see these impressive looking 3-4-5 way mega-horn systems as I have absolutely proved (to myself) that the more crossover points you can lose, the inherently better sound you will have. (presuming good horns to begin with)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.