Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Need new low-mass 12" subwoofer driver

First, please note that I have posted a similar request for assistance in the speakers forum, but felt that with the replacement driver I seek being a fairly high efficiency (93dB), it would likely be best to also ask the high efficiency speaker mavens here as well. :-)

My old Cabasse Thor II subwoofer needs replacing. It is a downward firing, 4 Ohm 12" 'Polycell' low-mass high efficiency (93dB) driver. The woofer's stated range is 25-150 Hz, but Cabasse recommends you cross it over at 80 Hz, using their internal 6dB/octave sloped filter.
Cabasse will sell me a replacement, but with shipping from France it is nearly $1000NZD! That's just for a single driver. Ouch!

Can anyone recommend a source for a possible replacement driver, one that hopefully will not be quite so dear? I do not have any further specs for the driver's performance, sadly. The Thor II's internal amplifier is a strong 250 watts, and the driver's magnet has a hole (port) in the center of the magnet structure, as can be seen from the picture I attach.

I can buy one made in America, have it shipped to a friend in Washington state, who will send it to NZ for me. Or, if the recommended manufacturer is outside the USA, I could still maybe have it shipped to the US, or sent directly here, depending on cost.

I checked with Madisound, but nothing they offered seemed to be a good replacement. Same for Speakers USA. Did I miss something? Are there other, better sources I should try? A specific driver recommendation would be splendid!

Any and all assistance is very greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers!

WS

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Need new low-mass 12" subwoofer driver - Winston Smith 10:08:40 03/01/12 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.