Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Works for Me! But is it Wrong?

Gerry

If it sounds right, then it IS right. However there's no reason to feel 100% complacent until you push the concept to the point where it begins to sound worse. So you could try the next value 0.33, or 0.22, 0.15 or even 0.10 to find the point where things get worse, but you will run out of values with the Mundorfs at 0.10 uF., and hopefully you will have verified the sweet spot before this. Then again a feeling of doubt may arise that a conventional 2 way crossover may be better, or maybe even not as good. To investigate that route you will need to look at the freq. response of the 2 drivers alone without any crossover, and select a crossover point and slope that makes use of the best of what each of the drivers have to offer, while avoiding areas where they are not so good. In the event that you go back to the single "full range" driver mated with a tweeter with a single cap crossed at 6 dB per octave up beyond the normal hearing range, there will be some over lap where both drivers are making the same frequencies for a few octaves at least. Along with this there will be opportunities for phase cancellations and resonances where the distance between the drivers corresponds to some wavelengths or fractions thereof. Also, a lot of luck will be involved in finding the sweet spot where the attenuation of the tweeter is right, and where the 6 dB per octave attenuation of the cap does something useful in mating the tweeter performance and the full ranger together. In addition this also depends on good behavior of the tweeter near its Fs, and that the filter the single cap forms will also be able to deal with (or not need to deal with) any resonant peak there. Too much of a roll of the dice for me, but if it works, then it's right.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Works for Me! But is it Wrong? - Paul Eizik 13:18:45 02/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.