Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Not too much power, I think

Robert,

You are going to love using back-loaded horns with fullrange drivers. I had a man join my online SET group just before he was getting ready to make a complete change in his audio system. Like you Karl has really bad tinitus and just couldn't listen to loud music any longer. One of the most wonderful characteristics about using fullrange drivers in a back-loaded horns is the music retains it's full harmonic, timbrel and tonal balance and it's dynamic swings when played at low volumes just as well as it did at the louder volume levels!

It's the lack of this ability when using other less sensitive speakers that causes people to constantly feel the need to turn the volume up when listening at low volumes where most other speakers make the music sound dull & lifeless! To be honest with you Robert I sincerely believe even using your Yaqin MC-10L amp will allow you to hear much of what you'd expect to hear when using an SET amp with fullrange drivers in a back-loaded horn. Perhaps you'd like to check out this guy in Australia named Joe Rasmussen who modifies the Yaqin MC10L you own? He's using what he calls "Virtual Triode Operation" that you can read about here:

http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_el34.htm

Joe Rasmussen claims that the MC10L will compete with amps costing many thousands of dollars more when he's done modding it! However, just because it's always nice to read what someone else thinks about a person's work as opposed to what the person themself thinks. Here's a review written of a Joe Rasmussen modified Yaqin MC10L amp:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/amplifier-reviews/item/158-custom-analogue-jlti-el34-power-amplifier

As always Robert feel free to ask any question you might have and I'll help you where I can...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata )

Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns
Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
=================================================================================
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted."

- William Shakespeare from The Merchant of Venice; Act V,i
Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.