Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Alternatives to horns

you could probably do just as well and save a lot with an "Econowave" setup using a cheap ~constant directivity waveguide of sufficient size to mate with the woofer's directivity at the crossover point. The nice thing about DIY can be the fun factor (if not too much money & time is dumped into things) plus you're not buying someone else's DIY.

Econowave THREAD

Heritage Klipsch midrange horns - especially (Heresy & Cornwall) are basically too small and their dispersion narrows as the frequency goes up due to their expansion geometry with a narrow long neck - this makes them hot dead on axis and rather vague off axis.

harshness sometimes can come from insufficient power reserves but not at very low levels - what range of genre do you like and what kind of amplifiers do you run?

Tom Danley made an ingenious waveguide which integrates several midrange drivers with a compression driver at its apex for the highs. Within the angle of its walls, everything is well balanced and integrated.

Earl Geddes offers systems with a round waveguide which meets "technical correctness" for today for blending a direct radiator with waveguide - (I've not heard any of the offerings) Duke LeJeune/Audiokinesis makes speakers of that sort too.

I've had one Karlson coupler lash-up with a 28" deep/ 1" format big-radial horn with a mouth of ~32" wide and 7" tall, and a ring radiator to help the top - wtih Nick Cave's better recordings and a cheap solid state amp it sounded very "real" on vocals - so there went the theories....

Heresy probably sounds worse than it measures - here's one of mine
- when it first arrived I thought something was "broken" - but
realized its just what it is :^)

Look at this on-axis Heresy I graph around 9KHz - the midrange horn/driver
has a peak not too far down when it should have a smooth rolloff - not only does this contribute to harshness, it also is adding another spatial source at that frequency to confuse things - a LCR trap carefully tuned would help.

Karlson Evangelist

Edits: 09/07/11 09/07/11 09/07/11 09/07/11 09/07/11 09/07/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Alternatives to horns - freddyi 09:47:58 09/07/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.