Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Altec Valencia Cabinets

Thanks Tranny.

In my final enclosure, I intend to bring the 416z up high and close to the horn. I turned the cabinet over to get the voice frequencies up off the floor; the horn is around the same distance from the 416z as originally.

I'll try them not toed in; something I hadn't considered.

The screens on the drivers were so full of crud I cut them away.

I can try a shallower xover, like 12db, however I am committed to bi amplifiying. Actually tri, I haven't brought the subwoofers into play yet.

I have tried 25hz tuning of the 8 cubic ft cabinets and it sounded as if the lower mids were pushed back 30 feet. Tapping on the cones yielded a ringing thud. So I added 4 pieces of 16"x 24"x 3 1/2" fiberglass to the fiberglass that was in the original enclosure. Tubby bass.

Then I substituted different venting at a Vb of 40 hZ. Together with the added fiberglass, it really sounds solid. Maybe I'll take one piece of 'glass out and try that as well.

Funny thing: with the 40hz tuning, when I tap one woofer it has that dead sound I think it should. The other has some thud.

What I am really looking forward to is a well braced baltic birch cabinet for the 416z and a sand-filled box for the horn.

I hope this happens in the next month of two.

Thanks for your insights.
Les

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Altec Valencia Cabinets - les winter 03:40:14 12/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.