Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: EMS LB12EX field coil full range driver by Catherine Fertin

Hello.

Thanks for your description of the EMS LB-12EX.

I have been very curious since I first read about this driver.

The field coil magnet system is said to have to have some sonically advantages over other magnet systems, if well constructed.

For some years I have been using Altec Duplex 605B with custom made cross overs, together with a low power 2A3 SE amplifier.

However I much like the idea of a "true" full range driver, with no cross over at all, eventually assisted by a super tweeter above 10 or 15 KHz. I have fine experiences with Fostex T825A vintage horn tweeters in this respect.

Even though speaker quality is such a subjective matter, would you able to go a little more in depth regarding the rendering characteristics of the LB-12EX?

Do you know the "sound" of the Altec Duplex'es, or maybe Tannoy Dual Concentric 15" drivers? Would the LB-12EX have the same degree of resolution in the lower / upper midrange and treble area?

Of course the best thing will be to visit EMS and conduct a listening test session, but I cannot find the time at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Regards,
Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.