High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

The Tannoys,?, Hell NO !!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ High Efficiency Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Ho Grinagog,

Have you ever actually owned Tannoy 15 inch Golds??

I have, for several years, they were my very first hi fi speaker purchase once I graduated college.

Sorry, but the Tannoys will not compare one iota to the performance of the latest GPA, which I have heard extensively at RMAF 2006 and 2007 at the Serious Stereo suite, in their MLTL enclosures Dennis engineered.

The worse part of the Tannoy Gold 15s was its low end and mid bass, which was "boomy" with every amp I tried on them, to a point where I sold the speakers.

With the GPA 15, you get the best sounding 15 inch bass unit made, (its the Altec 515's cousin), and, you get a MODERN alignment of the magnets and force fields, in line with the voice coils, (hence less distance displacement between the low and high voice coils). Also, the GPA has a modern fully developed crossover.

If you want to use a car analogy, the Tannoy Gold is the old style Morris Mini Minor, made in GB (yecch, vintage British cars) whereas the GPA 15 inch is like the new Ford GT-40, simply the BEST BUY in audio speakers today.

The GPAs take over 400 hours to break in. The GPA 15 is THE pinnacle of 604 design, make no mistake, it outperforms all the vintage models, every one of them.

Jeff Medwin

Follow Ups: