Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: why does eXemplar still use -

Just my few cents, ...

Biggest problem with K is that they are not fashionable with Hi-Fi Gurus. Part of the reason maybe is that there is no easily understandable math to match a driver to cabinet or vice - versa.

Second biggest problem is their size. Maybe small compared to a bass horn, but still considerably larger than the average hi-fi enclosure. Also, a K won't want to go really low, unless re-tuned and maybe with the help of bass boost. Of course, the low cone motion helps it to accept a fair bit of boost.

Third problem is not every driver works in this enclosure. As a result, folks have to rely on anecdotal experience to find a suitable driver. Note that suitable 15" drivers aren't always cheap.

They have their own "character" to the sound, but that is not to say they cant be enjoyed, when properly applied. Should have some potential as a bass or mid bass cabinet, or as a 2-way. The coaxial karlson has a "unique" sound, but nice dispersion

Fourth problem. A K-tube looks obscene :)

Folks who fret about flat frequency response, enclosure size etc should stick to multi- way monitors :) . Karlsons won't solve world hunger but they might just have a place under the Sun.

Edits: 05/29/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: why does eXemplar still use - - zobsky 11:19:38 05/29/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.