Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I use both OB and Horns

Thought I would chime in here, as my system is both.
15" OB for low end - Altec 811 horn for mids/highs. Also use a rear firing horn tweeter.

I like the combo a lot, but can't say if an FR would be better on top - I haven't tried it!

If you go for OB bass, you will need a bass boost - and power. A simple shelving low pass in the preamp works great. Your driver and baffle will determine the amount of boost and the frequency you need. E.G., I use +6dB shelved at about 90Hz for my system. By ear it should have another 2dB for my room and tastes. But that's easy to change.

Running passive filtering at the moment, bi-amp gives the best results. Baffles are medium size, 40" tall by 21" wide with wings. 8" wings on the outside, 11" on the inside. The wings help the mid bass a LOT.

The Selenium 15" that I use has a Qts of about 0.6, so it works well in OB. Just enough damping, just enough bass. Some people like higher or lower Q drivers.

I agree with the OB comments above, the lack of box coloration and the um, I can't think of the term... (trainage, in French) is really nice. Sounds start and stop very suddenly with an OB. Quite surprising.

Imaging is good, like a lot of horn systems. Don't know if it would be better wih horn loaded bass. There isn't enough room in my house for a full front horn loaded woofer. %-{

OB is great, but for bass OB you need to do some "tricks" like the bass boost and the mid to high Q drivers. And you need more power than a driver in a box. That's been my milage so far.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I use both OB and Horns - panomaniac 22:14:04 04/05/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.