Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Lowthers in OB

I haven't experimented with Lowthers in OBs but I might add a few ideas that those who are may try.

The PM6a driver may be the most appropriate for OB loading since it has the smallest magnet and thus probably a bit lower efficiency/less top-heavy sound. The larger-magnet drivers are really intended for horn loading. Sometimes cheaper is better!

The JE Labs OB design uses a bit of floor bounce to fill in the lower midrange/upper bass, which might be very welcome with this sort of driver.

Since Lowthers are a bit at risk of being top-heavy (thin) in an OB design, I'd try upping the Zout of the tube amplifier by using 16 ohm taps on the 8 ohm driver. This might help fill out the lower midrange. I've long thought it would be fun to try true-pentode or true-tetrode output stages, ie current amplifiers, with Lowthers in OB. What is the sound of one 6550 clapping?

Due to their design the Lowther drivers are particularly excursion-constrained which is normally not so much of a problem with back horn loading. However, in an OB installation they are really flapping around uselessly in the bass region. I would at least experiment with simple line-level highpass filtering, at the very least a 6db slope (one capacitor) filter at 100hz or so.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Lowthers in OB - nl 04:17:17 03/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.