Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Made the switch from passive to active (long)

I should have done this years ago, when I first considered it. The difference is quite astounding. It already seems better in every respect - detail, dynamics, distortion - and I've only just started. I still have a lot of work to do.

I have quite a few questions, and I'd appreciate some feedback. But first let me describe my set-up at the moment. There are many weak links in this chain, I know, but this is what I rigged up to test the new active crossover.

Squeezebox 3 > Behringer DCX2496 >
HF (>800Hz) = Scott 299A amp > Altec 811B/804A horn
LF (<800Hz) = Marantz 2250 > JBL 2213H woofer

My system already sounds better than it ever has, so I'm pretty happy already, but it's far from its full potential. So what would you improve first? The integrated amps? The woofers? Upgrade the stock DCX? I've got my own ideas, but yours may be better. All suggestions welcome!

I'm dying to get my turntable in here somewhere, but I understand that the analog inputs on the DCX are not great. Also, I should mention that I tried running my Rega Planet CD player through the DCX but the levels were far too high, even when I turned the input levels down to -15dB. The Squeezebox is sounding surprisingly decent, though.

Cheers,
Sparky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Made the switch from passive to active (long) - Sparky 19:37:55 03/06/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.