Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Room modes sparse under 50Hz.?

RBNG - That's why they are so audible -- not dense enough!
Probably three room modes under 50Hz. in a typical room.

Once again, when you combine a dipole with a monopole xo'd @ 50hz, you have cardioid radiation @ 50hz. So yes, a monopole will have very few modes to excite in the below 40hz range. A cardioid will excite different modes than the dipole or monopole, but will maintain DI and still radiate -4.8db less power. An equalized monopole below 35hz is superior in every way a dipoles hopeless ineffeciency below these frequencies. I have linked a 2 part article for you below. Give it a read.

RBNG - You control harmonic distortion by using mutiple high-XMAX drivers for a dipole. Not cheap. Not small. But subjectivelky better bass quality than monopole speakers in most rooms. Especially smaller rooms.

Yes, I've known that for many years first hand. I practice what I preach :-).

RBNG - There is no room gain from a pressure source unless the room is unusually sell sealed (like a car with windows closed) which is very rare. You may ask Earl Geddes for details from his experiments.

I was there when Earl caused a near riot over on the Mad board (when it was functional) with his own use of the term. Won't rehash that again.

cheers,

AJ

I contend that we are both atheists; I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you reject all other gods, you will understand why I reject yours

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.