Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Dayton IB385-8 Versus Hawthorne Silver Iris Augie

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the helpful thoughts! Good to hear that beaming might not be an issue.

"Most people XO their high mass sub only woofers nearer 100hz so this is abit more difficult.Perhaps more prosound style woofer,with EQ will work."

Is there a particular reason why a woofer like the Dayton or the Hawthorne wouldn't sound good above 100Hz, even if the frequency response looks good? (I'm hoping the typical 100Hz crossover has more to do with the higher frequency drivers typically used in boxed speakers, rather than an inherent limitation of the Dayton)

Yes, I am considering the Hawthorne Augie, though its website presents limited specs, and no frequency response graph. Plugging it into Thorsten Loesch's spreadsheet (and guessing at the missing parameters) gives higher efficiency than the Dayton, but much more rolloff below 40Hz.

Since I'm going to use a random solid state amp for bass, I don't particularly care about woofer efficiency, but I do care about low frequency extension.

That, combined with the fact that the Dayton shows a response graph, is cheaper ($110/ea for four), and has a Q of 0.69 versus 0.92 for the Augie, has me leaning towards the Dayton.

I'm thinking dual Daytons per side--sort of a knock-off of quarter-wave.com's Project 7:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project07/Project07.html

He crossed-over at 100Hz, but I'd like to experiment with higher frequencies, with 100Hz as a fallback.

All comments, insights, and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

George

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.