Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

To be fair ...

... if you look up the review from which those measurements are taken, and look at the pictures, you can see that those were the earlier version. I believe both drivers have been changed significantly.

If as suggested elsewhere the enclosure is a mass-loaded transmission line, the notch at 160Hz seems most likely to be an underdamped column resonance, which they may well have modified - I know I would, after the publication of measurements like that! :^)

A final note - someone said that 100 hours is plenty of breakin for anything. I would think that the time required to loosen an initially stiff suspension would be related to the displacement and frequency - it is basically a mechanical fatique process, after all. Running a speaker rated for 300 watts with a 4-watt SET amp would logically require many times as many hours to obtain the effect - certainly 1000 hours would not be unreasonable. Feeding 100+ watts to a speaker of 99dB or 101dB or whatever sensitivity in the midrange for 100 hours seems painfully impractical unless you really need to break your lease. If as someone else has suggested the driver is based on a 10-inch Eminence design, their typically rugged suspension could easily require a lot of mechanical displacement to settle in.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.