Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Actually the ONE 12 was superior to the four 6-1/2s; it just didn't have the sensitivity I needed.

The bass LP filter points have been variously at 60 - 80Hz. Of course a lot depends on the slope; the LP-1's is 3rd order, and its last settings were both 65Hz. I just looked at the dbx DRPA; it's set on 60Hz and 4th-order Butterworth slope. (The B/MR drivers are run almost full range on the bottom.)

I have no issues with the bass system, but I'm not an experienced and/or skillful speaker builder, I'm just a long-time audio hobbyist who got brave and lucky with this project. I do have a Hall SPL meter and noise generator and a Phonics AA2 RTA, and they help a bunch.

PS. There's a difference, albeit subtle, between 'sensitivity' and 'efficiency'. While we all understand the terms, generally, to address the speaker's ability to convert electrical energy into acoustical energy, when staing things like "...rated 90db efficiency is increased to 96 (I suspect that the actual efficiency is more like 88.5...', what you're actually discussing is sensitivity. Formally, efficiency is measured with 1 Watt of power (which is whatever Voltage is required into a resistor equal to the rated impedance or the speaker), while sensitivity is measured with 2.83Volts-RMS measured into an 8-Ohm resistor and using a solid-state amp. Of course, a speaker lower than 8 Ohms impedance will draw more power than 1 Watt. So...efficiency is measured with 1 Watt, and sensitivity is measured with 2.83V/8-Ohms. If this is incorrect, I hope someone will correct my understanding.
-------------------------------------------------------
Tin-eared audiofool and obsessed landscape fotografer.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeffreybehr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Actually the ONE 12 was superior to the four 6-1/2s; it just didn't have the sensitivity I needed. - jeffreybehr 10:01:46 02/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.