Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

You want the good news or the bad news first?

The good news are there are speakers that will do low bass with a 2a3 set amp. The bad news is I doubt you can afford them. So where does the leave you? With the rest of us normal folks. The solution? Get something reasonable that you like that will go down to a 100-200 hertz or so (maybe the Zu???), add an active crossover and bass reflex speaker, and power with a solid state amp. A decent 15" eminence will be fine and any old 100 watt+ amp will do. Or you can get a plate amp like the bash.

I have just started DIY speakers and the comment made above that most don't know what a flat sounding speaker is rings true. I am running a borrowed 12" in a bass reflex and have stronger bass than any commercial speaker I have ever owned. But when I measured I was only flat to around 70 hertz.

Russ
P.S. You could get something like the Pi speakers but in the end I'll bet you will end up with a 3-way. Think wide range in an open baffle with a ribbon or horn/compression driver up top and the bass bin below as a starting point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You want the good news or the bad news first? - Russ57 09:24:09 02/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.