Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Avantegarde Duos ...

Jeff,

Ground floor room approx 23' x 20' x 7' 8". Regular shape apart from hearth and chimney breast projecting about 2' from one long wall. Carpet and underlay over suspended timber floor with approx 4' deep sub-floor space.

Lots of glazing (double) with fairly heavy curtains (drapes), which are rarely closed, but provide a reasonable area of wall damping in their gathered state. I'm fortunate to have privacy without closing them and I prefer the sound with the glass exposed. The room is, in my opinion, quite nicely balanced - not too lively, not too dead.

Lightly furnished - just a settee, a large bean bag, and a few small tables, couple of bookcases, a desk, plus of course the listening chair. Several largish plants.

Duos are positioned across the narrower dimension of room, Centre front of subs are 5' from the rear wall during winter months so that the right-hand speaker is a safe distance away from the open fire. During warmer weather they are about 6' 8" from the rear wall. The summer position - which is based on the Audiophysics method with some tweaking - sounds better, but the winter position is only a little less good. One speaker is 4' 11'' from the side wall and the other is 4' 7". This is partly because my seating position is not exactly central and partly due to the effect of the hearth.

Seating position puts my head about 13' from centre line between speakers.

Sub volume at 12 o'clock, frequency at 2 o'clock, filter at 20Hz.

Mid and tweet at highest position, after experimentation at lower levels. Also tried Kurt's tilting of mid, but preferred standard position. Speakers on axis with listening position.

Speakers are currently standing on the three feet at the bottom of the uprights. These are not the standard feet but are larger than those supplied. They are fitted with Teflon discs which allow easy moving of the speakers. I've tried spiking - using spikes located on the bottom of the subs - but I think, on balance, I prefer the feet. With spiking, the bass is slightly more 'impressive', but is a little loose and boomy. I fitted a centrally positioned spike at the rear of each sub, so they now have two spikes at the front and one at the rear. This removes the need for all that fiddly setting up and seems to have very little adverse effect on the stability of the speakers. My next step is to experiment with the speakers standing on slabs, with dense foam between the slabs and the floor.

Jeremy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.