Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I think both viewpoints have merit here...

Greg,

Well at least you're honest about how you feel.

Let's talk about this:
"I don't want it both ways. I just want SACD, which can do everything DVD-A can do, and do it better."

Hmmm... Fair enough. Answer me this, can SACD do these things:
1) Provide > 74 minutes of music in stereo and surround?
2) Provide more than two mixes on a disc?
3) Leave untouched an older digital master?
4) Be played in any DVD player?

Does SACD have available:
1) A portable player
2) A car player

DVD-A can do all of the above, right now.

"The product, its specifications and its marketing have remained exactly the same since the day it was introduced."

Please explain the evolution of titles from 5.1 mixes only to releases like the Doobie Brothers "The Captain and Me". That's certainly not the same product as Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Brain Salad Surgery".

As far as specifications go, SACD and DVD-A haven't changed since introduction, so that's a moot point.

"Are you really suggesting that DVD-A is creating a brand new market segment? Warner targeted surround sound music fans, a satellite customer base which has existed since the days of quad and was brought into the digital age with the advent of DD and DTS. DVD-A, hoping to be all things to all people, is of course trying to appeal to music fans in general, and surround sound fans in particular.

You're trying to tell me that these customers "didn't exist" prior to the advent of DVD-A? Or that Warner didn't know how to stick survey cards in their CDs or DVDs prior to the introduction of DVD-A? Please tell me you're kidding."

Warner had zero customer base for surround music prior to the introduction of DVD-Audio.

Neither you nor I are privy to the market research that was done prior to DVD-As release by Warner. Feel free to speculate at will however.

Regards,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.