Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

REVIEW: Pioneer Elite DV-47A DVD Players

Model: Elite DV-47A
Category: DVD Players
Suggested Retail Price: $800
Description: DVD/SACD/DVD-A Player and Transport
Manufacturer URL: Pioneer
Model Picture: View

Review by Bobby_N (A) on March 09, 2002 at 21:33:32
IP Address: 12.73.230.159
Add Your Review
for the Elite DV-47A

I purchased a Pioneer Elite DV-47a (U.S. version) from a local dealer on March 6. The MSRP is $1000, but my dealer sold it to me for $850 since I am a frequent customer.

The unit does not impress with its weight: 9.25 lbs. It has a detachable power cord and gold-plated connectors. I have not yet removed the cover for inspection.

As many of you may know, the 47a plays multi-channel SACDs, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, DVD-R, and redbook CDs including CD-R and CD-RW. It includes processors for DTS, Dolby Digital and MP3, but not HDCD. It also includes bass management that does indeed work with DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACDs (but has no effect on stereo sources such as CDs and 2-channel SACDs). The inclusion of bass management for SACD and DVD-A was a surprise to me since I had read in a CES report that the unit would not have this feature.

At this time, I am in only the fourth day of use, but will attempt a brief review, based on my use of the 47a in my B&W/Rotel multi-channel system (listed among Inmate Systems on this web site).

DVD-VIDEO
First, as a DVD-video player, it seems to be very capable, and includes a series of setup screens that permit very detailed adjustments of the video. In an A to F grading system, I would give the 47a a solid A grade for video performance.

REDBOOK CD
The setup screens for CD playback allow one to choose among enhancements labeled "Legato Pro", "Hi-Bit", and "CD Digital Direct". The effects of these settings are subtle and I have not experimented much, because I'm sure I will generally prefer to use the processor in my pre-amp for CD playback. To evaluate the quality of the player's own CD playback, I compared it with my Rotel RSP-976 pre-amp/processor, and my Sony C555ES SACD player. CD playback from the Pioneer sounds slightly inferior to either the Rotel or the Sony, but not by much. Differences were subtle. I would give the 47a a grade of A- for CD playback.

DVD-AUDIO
I primarily purchased the 47a as a replacement for my first DVD-A player (Panasonic DVD-A7), which I had come to realize was somewhat lacking in focus and detail. Fortunately, I find the Pioneer to be a vast improvement. In playback of DVD-Audio, I find the same sound quality that I enjoy from my Rotel pre-amp. Also, the Pioneer appears to pass 96/24 signals via digital connections without downsampling. In comparing playback of 96/24 DVD-A stereo signals, I find that the sound of the Pioneer is almost identical to the Rotel. Well-recorded DVD-As, such as "Buena Vista Social Club", Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature", Bucky Pizzarelli's "Swing Live", and McEuen & Ibotson's "Nitty Gritty Surround" sound spectacular on the Pioneer. I would give the 47a a grade of A for DVD-Audio playback. And remember, the unit actually has effective bass management as well.

SACD
Finally we come to a report of SACD playback on the 47a. Unfortunately, I must report that the unit is disappointing in this department. I assessed the quality of SACD playback in two ways: Compared to SACD playback on my Sony C555ES, the Pioneer sounds slightly more generous in bass response, but is inferior in every other way. SACDs sound veiled and somewhat grainy on the Pioneer, as if undergoing some undesirable processing. The same poor sound quality is evident in both stereo and multi-channel SACD playback. The other way I assessed SACD playback was to play some hybrid SACDs on the Pioneer, and compare the sound quality of the stereo SACD tracks to the redbook CD versions. I actually found that the redbook CD tracks sounded better than the SACD tracks (on the same disc), when played on the Pioneer! This is a major disappointment since the report from CES was that the 47a would decode DSD without converting to PCM. I don't know how the unit is processing DSD, but it does not impress favorably.

To summarize, I can recommend the 47a for its very good sound quality and effective bass management with DVD-Audio and for it's solid performance with DVD-Video discs (DTS and Dolby Digital sound fine too). Redbook CDs sound good, but one should probably use an external processor. For quality SACD playback, look elsewhere. In spite of the one letdown, I am basically happy with the unit because it is such a vast improvement over my previous DVD-A player, and because the 96/24-capable digital output works well with my Rotel pre-amp, enabling me to enjoy DVD-A playback even when the Rotel's 6-channel analog inputs are connected to my C555ES.

Product Weakness: SACD playback is disappointing.
Product Strengths: Very good DVD-Audio and DVD-Video performance. Respectable redbook CD playback

Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Various Rotel amps
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Rotel RSP-976
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Speakers: Various B&W
Cables/Interconnects: Vampire & Monster
Music Used (Genre/Selections): See review
Time Period/Length of Audition: 4 days
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
Your System (if other than home audition): My system is listed with Inmate Systems

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - REVIEW: Pioneer Elite DV-47A DVD Players - Bobby_N 21:33:32 03/09/02 (11)

You can not post to an archived thread.