Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Pioneer DV747A gets very good review in Hi-Fi Choice

Just thought I'd let you guys know. I gave the review a quick read in the shop (didn't buy it as they normally sell them really cheap at the hifi show I'm going to on Sunday).

Apparently the player has complete separation of the DSD and PCM conversion stages - so one is NOT converted to the other.

Sound quality was rated extremely high. CD playback was rated at least equal with the stereo-only (non-changer) European SCD-555ES in detail, pace and dynamics, only losing a little on absolute bass resolution. SACD stereo playback was very close to the SCD-XA333ES, with only a little extra ambience added by the Sony player. Multichannel SACD playback was basically as good as the Sony. DVD-A playback was very nearly as good as the Pioneer 939. Bass management is meant to be much more comprehensive than the Sony players.

The RRP of this player is £899. (Compared with £1300 for the SCD-XA333ES, £1200 for the SCD-555ES, and about £1000 for the Pioneer 939). It's available mail-order for £725 already. I will be demoing this player against the Sony NS900V when I get the chance.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Pioneer DV747A gets very good review in Hi-Fi Choice - Phil Carmalt 07:01:03 02/22/02 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.