Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Universal's announcement notwithstanding, I hold in my hands the DOOBIE BROS. - Captain and Me DVD-A

Just finished listening to the Doobie Bros. DVD-A of "The Captain and Me" - and we have a winner!!!

The sonic qualities of this disc are very, very good, and rate up there with some of the better DVD-Audio discs. Still not as good as the cream of the crop, the Doobie Bros. will satisfy.

This is another double-sided DVD-Audio discs with DVD-A 96/24 surround, DD and DTS on one side, and YES - 192/24 DVD-A stereo on the other. And again, this is the third Warner's DVD-Audio disc that has a stereo LPCM 96/24 mix on the stereo side. Regardless of Universal's stellar anouncement today regarding SACD, it looks like if DVD-A stays around a bit - at least Warners is doing something right in giving more than expected.

The surround mix is by Mr. Gimmickmeister himself, Elliot Scheiner. So expect heavy duty surround activity. Alot of drums, guitars, vocals, background vocals go into the rear channels. Even so, it is a pretty good mix, that as I have stated before, is like taking that big roller coaster ride of audio. It is fun - but it is not for everyone.

The stereo mix sounds good, although I didn't listen to the whole thing. One thing is that even though the stereo mix is 192/24 it doesn't sound much different than if it were 96/24. Testament to this fact is that I played the same 2 cuts via the LPCM 96/24 track in stereo and I couldn't discern any difference in overall quality. But then again I wasn't listening that closely to either stereo tracks since I was only really putting these tracks on to check what resolution the DVD-A stereo track was, and to see if this disc had an LPCM 96/24 stereo track. Both were confirmed.

Anyway - I would say that if you like the Doobies - you will be very happy with this DVD-Audio disc. (And if you are like me - an old Doobie Bros. fan from when I was in my youth, who hasn't listened to them probably since 1975 - you will be surprised at how good this disc does sound. Some of the music is of so-so quality - but the sonics aren't).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Universal's announcement notwithstanding, I hold in my hands the DOOBIE BROS. - Captain and Me DVD-A - MT 14:23:30 01/08/02 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.