Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Hey, I'm not

But 3D still requires glasses and my screen is as wide as the throw length permits.

I'm also stuck in two channel world. Can't say I'm happy about any of it. In fact, having heard some of Wendell Diller's compelling three-channel demos, most recently at THE, two-channel doesn't sound right to me anymore -- there's a big difference between the ethereal sound of the phantom image with its tonal distortion and the solidity conferred by a center speaker.

And concert hall recordings have never sounded right to me in two channel. With a good setup, the sense of imaging and depth is impressive, but it's like listening through a window. I can get much the same "hi fi" effect by cupping my ears in a concert hall. By the time you're a few rows back in a concert hall, you're in the far field and more than half of what you hear is reflected sound. Two channel just can't reproduce that -- it's fine for studio pop but I find it doesn't sound right for larger scale acoustical venues.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hey, I'm not - josh358 07:53:16 11/02/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.