Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Mytek and Lampizator use Dop. nt

The DAC per se has nothing to do with DoP. A DSD DAC handles DSD not DoP. DoP is just a method of transporting DSD within a PCM "wrapper" from one device to another using existing 24/176.4 capable SPdif, AES/EBU or USB interfaces. So the DoP package has to be unwrapped (as it were) before the DSD data is presented to the DAC for processing. Think of a zipped file as a metaphor, once unzipped you have the original file.

It seems unlikely that DoP would be used within a component for the internal distribution of data. The SPdif etc. interfaces are not used for this role. To use DoP for this would also entail the machine taking the original DSD file, packing it as a DoP one then immediately unpacking it so as to revert to DSD in order that it can be processed by the DAC. That does not make sense to me.

Note when I refer to the DAC I am talking about the chip (or other implementation) itself, not about a box of ports and components.

It is not unreasonable to imagine that machines with inadequate processing horsepower or with other inadequacies may unpack the file whilst thereby creating anomalies e.g. excessive jitter, which result in inferior sound. But this would be a fault of implementation rather than with the DoP protocol itself.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.