Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Synthesized center, or re-created center?

When I was using an HT prepro in my Mch front end, I experimented with a number of Mch from stereo synthesis modes. It had quite a number of them. Like you, I did get the best results with music from Neo:6 over Dolby and a slew of others. Some friends of mine recommend that, too.

I no longer have a prepro in my setup, and the JRiver software I use as a control center instead does not have Neo:6, although it does have JRiver's own stereo-Mch synthesis algorithm. It is quite good, but I just don't use it.

In any case, my bias is to try to hear something as close to what the mastering engineers heard as possible. >> 95% of the time, I listen to discretely recorded Mch. I do that in 5.1 if it is a 5.0 or .1 recording and in 7.1 for a 7.1 recording, again not synthesizing Back channels for 5.0/.1. I do not find 7.1 recommendable over 5.1. It adds little, even for the relatively few 7.1 recordings available, BD videos included. I should have saved my money and just stopped at 5.1 for Mch. Overwhelmingly, most Mch music is on SACD in 5.0/.1 anyway.

For the few 2.0 stereo recordings I listen to, I use 2.1, always using bass management and a sub, except when I listen in pure DSD, which is also rare.

I prefer Dirac room correction and bass management over pure DSD, even though there is a DSD-PCM conversion involved for those capabilities. Speaker distance correction is also not possible in my or most all other systems without DSD-PCM conversion. That is another strike against the supposed "Holy Grail" of pure DSD in my setup for Mch, even though my DAC supports it. No matter, though. I am the happiest I have ever been with the sound of music and video in my home.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.