Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Looking for inmate opinions about multichannel

I have a very great deal of respect for the opinions of Kal Robinson and his reply to your question needs careful reading. He said "It transformed my views of what is satisfying" For me that is it in a nutshell. Moving from 2 to 5 channels may provide a more 'atmospheric' and for some 'satisfying' listening experience but will not improve the fidelity of any system, how can it? Five channels of poor quality information cannot give more insight of tonal accuracy or precision to a musical presentation than Two.

I am lucky enough to have a very high end stereo system because it matters to me that I hear every instrument in its place and with highly accurate tonality and colours and the nuances and idiosyncrasies of individual players. Good quality stereo will create it's own hall effect in your listening room if properly set up and the room is carefully 'tuned' to your system. I never cease to be amazed by sounds off stage right or left that seem to originate from outside the system itself from a good stereo recording.

As a weekly concert attender, making subconscious aural comparisons of what you hear live and what you hear in your listening room becomes almost unavoidable. It can drive you crazy and as many on here will attest it can become 'unlistenable too'. As an extreme example, who in their right mind would listen to classical music on an MP3 player?

What you have to ask yourself is "Why change?" if you are mostly interested in The Music rather than the Technology, it is better to invest your money in better stereo equipment and enjoy the higher quality on offer than just briefly bask in the 'wow' factor of some artificial room filling effects.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.