Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

HDTT's DSD Transfer of Stravinsky's complete Firebird on Columbia: my deepest gratitude for a job well done

The Columbia Stravinsky Firebird DSD transfer sounds just like my old Lp: but without the inner groove distortion and pops and clicks. It's quite miraculous actually: all the signature liquidity and coherence of Analog is preserved. I knew I was in for a treat within minutes of the opening theme: how easy it is to distinguish between low strings and low reeds, playing in unison!

The recording as originally engineered is better than average for Columbia and that's not saying much--but if you want one of the most interesting and persuasive Firebirds around, Stravinsky's own is the one to have. The bass drum is deep and impactful, one can sense air and "elbow room" around the players, and the closely-mic'd winds and brass retain their warmth. Massed strings as originally recorded are just a touch "hot," though not as coarse as they'd become by the mid 60's.

Everything positive about the recording is enhanced by HDTT's DSD transfer, just as everything negative about the recording seems to have been enhanced by Sony's old CD.

The original tape used by HDTT had to have been flawless; I don't hear any blemishes at all, so no need to worry about downloading the unedited DSD track.

Edits: 09/28/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - HDTT's DSD Transfer of Stravinsky's complete Firebird on Columbia: my deepest gratitude for a job well done - jdaniel@jps.net 22:35:03 09/27/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.