Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

magnetic interference.....

I love hearing multi-channel if it doesn't affect 2-ch playback.

Unfortunately it means having to remove all participating m-ch equipments (both speakers and electronics in excess of the stereo system) out of the room when listening to just 2-ch system.

Any unused speakers in close proximity to the front 2 speakers can affect their soundstaging projection.

Don't ask me the theory behind this.

Simply do a test - put a single speaker nearby. You might try just a 8" woofer driver instead of the whole box if you wish not to have issue with additional reflections.

Try listening with the speaker driver's inputs open(1) and shorted(2), with its inputs connected to another amplifier but the amp being switched off(3) with and with the driver (and the second amp) removed from the room(4)

The choice of player is important:

Always remove the disc and refresh the player before playing the test track (best is if the test track is the first track)

For an oppo based transport/player, make sure the auto play mode is deactivated.
Always ensure the disc is removed before powering down and powering up again.
Do not use the remote.
After powering up, let the transport/player fully settle before opening the tray and inserting the disc. Then close the tray using the front panel buttons.
Do not use the remote.
Let the transport/player read the top and settle.
Then press play button on the front panel to play track one
Do not use remote. Everytime infrared signals is received at the destination sensor, it can disrupt the transport/player's power supply momentarily, leading to audible interference to the soundstaging projection.
Using this method to play a disc on an oppo will provide opened and spacious soundstaging.
But it will only sound like this for the first track.
Subsequent tracks will not sound like this.
That is the main reason why I do not recommend using oppo based transports/players.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.